30 January, 2008

Negatives!

I bought one of these from ThinkGeek.com and it arrived this week! The picture of me skating in an earlier post is direct from a negative - that's why there/s dust and crap you don't get in pure digital.

I've dug up my portfolio and am scanning a few things, mostly as a test process. Here is a picture I took as part of an assignment for a class a friend of mine and I took in our senior year of High School via San Diego State. It was a week long trip to Yosemite. At the time, the Lower and Upper River camp sites were still open. This was from the shore of our site on Lower River:
It's an absolute favorite of mine. A 16x20" version has been hanging in our house for many years now. About time I had it re-printed. snif... I miss the days when I did this work myself.

So, over time, I'll share some more of my historical work that includes a lot of concert work, of which, unfortunately, I only have a fraction of what I had. I'll tell more about that later.

The bottom line for me is, photography has always been a passion. I'd love to get back to it. For now, revisiting this old work and doing some cleanup and balancing floats my boat.

2 comments:

OwlOnAStick said...

All right - I'm closely watching for more of those scans. I recently sent some off for commercial scanning and we'll compare the results when they get back. That $99 price tag is pretty sweet.

Chato said...

Ya, so in the end, I work for the company that owns ThinkGeek (think: discount). So, it came in even better than list. ;-)

The only issue so far is everything i scan tends green, so there's an amount of correction that has to be done. I know how to do that, it just makes it challenging. Wondering if it my specific unit or just how it is. The light source is LED's. Not sure if that has any impact.

The final hassle is that it is just 35mm sized. I happen to have some 6x7cm negs that I really want to scan. I make my own jig to do that, but sitting on it for now.