06 April, 2008

Brotherly love

This is my older brother Conrado:He is a real estate agent in San Diego. I give him a lot of credit because he is really good about using technology to help him in his efforts.

An example, he sent this this afternoon:

Subject: Need Tech Support

Bro,

There is a powerful tool on Google Maps to embed your Youtube videos - you can see the
obvious application for real estate. I followed the instructions on the below page to the
letter:

http://earth.google.com/outreach/tutorial_youtube.html

Any even though I can see the youtube video where it is supposed to be, i only see it
when i am in My Maps and the public can't see it which is the whole point.

I have scoured Googles' tech pages and search low and wide on the net and can't find an
answer.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Bro

--
A little backstory may be useful here. I'm a support geek. I have been doing support in many forms for a long time. I work for a valley company doing support now, so his request is perhaps logical. My initial response:

a bribe.

To which he responded:

In what form?

I sent:

who knows? they are "fraking" google. what do they need? that's like asking bill gates if
he needs a dime.

Realizing I missed an opportunity to really pull his chain, I almost immediately followed that with this further reply to him:

damn. i replied too hastily. a quick check of the ether indicates that the usual and proper bribe for such assistance from such an entity is the sacrifice of a terrabyte of disk space that holds irretrievable data.

let me know how that works out.

I get that he wants me to do his dirty work. I can't help myself and just love to do this with my family when they are less than specific. He hadn't asked me directly for support - he asked what did I suggest? I made a freaking suggestion.

Some days, comedy just grows on trees... His reply to my question about lending bill gates a dime:

I was thinking i could bribe you to figure it out. I mean, that's what you do, no, i mean
you know about all these SW developers and are in a better position to know where they
hide the holy grail.

Holy crap! He really wants me to RTFM for him! Being a bit slow on the uptake and having chosen to do this via back and forth email, instead of coming into the 90's and IM'ing me, he comes back, clearly confused about the sacrifice suggestion:

Bro,


You lost me.

A terrabyte of disk space (Ok, I'm thinking you want an external 1 TB drive, but..) "that
holds irretrievable data" - I'm not sure what makes data "irretrieveable" unless you take
said drive and smash it, so i have no idea what you mean.

How what works out?

Oy... I decide to clue him in (having known me all my life and having been in the short end of my rhythm stick in the past, I certainly would have thought he'd know better..). I reply:

ahhhh. we get to the point after all. i see. you were hoping that since i get paid to while away in the support trenches some 40 to 50 hours a week, i might enjoy a foray into the google mines for another hour or two. in effect, doing more RTFM that perhaps you have not completed. that perhaps, as i am some sort of miscreant that gets his rocks by doing this, day in and day out, week after week, year after year, that more ought to be the way i want to spend my time?

i'm not saying it isn't, i just want to hear you say it...

;)

You're not gonna believe his response:

Hear YEE, Hear YEE, Hear YEE well!

The author doth proclaimith openly that he is in need of assistance that is crucial to
his success in certain technical endeavors that benefit business in the end.

THe author doth proclaimith and admit that one, Sir Daniel of Hinojosa, doth twill and
twain and bang and baing in the deep mines where data, information, and all matter of
knowledge and science is found, hark, yeah, it is legend that even the sword of Arthur
the King lies somewhere down there in these deep deep pits...

The author doth further proclaim that he has great confidence in the efficiency and skill
of Sir Daniel of Hinojosa in finding the holy grail, and besseecheth him to aim his arrow
at said target for the benefit of king, country and his bro.

There! Said it!
:-)

PS WTF IS RTFM?

OMFG - he doesn't know how to use Google after all. I was gonna help him out. Clearly, he just needs to poke, test, read, and think. He's a smart guy. I'm gonna send this and call it a night:

http://google.com - let me know how it works out.

I think I'll include the link to this article too...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My emails were not meant as fodder for your blog. Oh well, one good turn deserves another. What he didn't post here was what he said at the end of his last email. And I quote:
"I wish I had that reply I sent to Tira a couple of years ago when i wrote about clearing out my office building with my farts... I'd really love to post that up. any chance you have that in your archives?" Since he was going to post this old writing, I'm sure he won't mind this comment. :-)