18 April, 2008

On Philosophy

I am a novice philosophy student. I believe in philosophy as a way of seeing the world and interpreting that which you see. I am somewhat familiar with some of the big names, the classics, the big Kahuna's, nay, "the originators": Socrates, Plato, Aristotle...

As well I have been introduced to some of the "new-comers" like H.G. Frankfurt. However, think my favorite philosopher of modern time is The Cat In The Hat.

Now, you're probably scratching your head right about now thinking, "dood - that was a little kids book." You would be right of course. "So what?" says I. I don't have a direct quote from the good Msr. Geisel, but I'm sure he'd say, "oh ya, that was always the plan... Start 'em young!".

Still scratching your head? I thought so. In the book, as the Cat goes about creating chaos and fun, he proceeds to make his case by telling the kids, "it's fun to have fun, but you have to know how!"

Perhaps not your textbook definition of philosophy. To that I say, bah! humbug. In the end, the cat is simply letting the kids know, you can have fun in so many ways, it's just how you look at it. Take for example my previous abuse of my brother. That was great fun! Well, for me anyway... And that is my point!

To wit:
Found on Flickr.

Think about it. Some person with a camera was walking along, one may presume, saw this poor deceased squirrel, and said to themselves, "hey... I bet if I took a couple of G.I. Joe's and posed them..." Right? It's fun to have fun! See? Philosophy made easy!

Go out and make some philosophy on your own today! See if you can blow someone's mind in the process. I dare you.

No comments: